The Eagle Has Landed

Wow! So much has happened since our last post and so many projects have been completed. We’ve been a little busy to say the least. We promise to cut out time to have more consistent blog postings! Keith has a lot of videos he’d like to get going as well. For the sake of time, I’ll just highlight a few things.

First off, we had our baby! The little guy was born the end of May. Everything went great and we all are so in love with him. He will be pretty spoiled with so many sisters! My parents have already nicknamed him “Rooster”.

At the end of April/early May we increased our bunny family. We picked up this adorable white Holland Lop female. She is the sweetest rabbit I’ve ever seen. She seems more like a dog than a rabbit. She loves attention and getting played with. Our Lionhead Sammy also had Lionlop babies, 2 black ones and 3 grey ones.

Keith finished building all the raised beds for our early spring garden. This was the first year we attempted a spring garden and we learned a lot! More on that in our next blog post “Trial and Error”.

At the end of April we got our first batch of meat birds for the year and Keith built this brooder for them. The new brooder used two 125 Watt bulbs rather than four 250 Watt bulbs which obviously used a lot less energy. Also due to the box design it keeps the underside of the box at a much more consistent temp than the open bulb design. Here is a link to our basic design: http://www.plamondon.com/wp/build-200-chick-brooder-two-hours-20/.

Our strawberries came in early May. We had a great harvest this year and were able to make a lot of jam, freeze a lot, share with family, and even sell some. This was our last year for this patch so we transplanted runners to a new patch for next year.

In May, we got the rest of the garden in for summer. This year we added more fruit trees, raspberries, blueberries, elderberries, and more…

Our major projects that got done in June were the egg mobile and the irrigation system. Our egg mobile is basically an 8′ x 16′ shed built on a running gear or farm wagon. We use poultry netting to form an 80′ x 80′ pasture which the egg mobile sets inside. The chickens are let out each morning and locked up (in the egg mobile) each night. The egg  mobile is moved once a day to keep the grass beneath it from burning up. We’ll have a future post on the egg mobile with more details.

As far as irrigation goes, we’ve tried a lot of different products and learned a lot of lessons. There are pros and cons to each type of irrigation. We used spray nozzles, rotary nozzles, and drip irrigation depending on the plants and size of bed we are watering. Again I’ll have future post on this, and give some additional thoughts.

The past couple months have been a whirlwind of activity! There is so much more, but that’s it in a nutshell.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s